We recommend a photo size of 350 x 280.
Win a Two Week Tour of Zambia Photo Contest: Heat 01
Official Photo Contest Rules
Safarious and The Bushcamp Company Competition: Terms and Conditions
This Competition commences on 10th June 2013 and closes on 31st January 2014. Throughout the term of the Competition three monthly winners will be announced and following the Closing Date one overall Winner will be determined by the Judging Panel and chosen to win the Overall Grand Prize.
Competition Partners: The Bushcamp Company, Steppes Discovery, Remote Africa, Siankaba, Proflights Zambia, Minox, Gitzo, Paramo, BBC Wildlife Magazine and Outdoor Photography Magazine.
In order to enter this Competition, Participants must:
i. Submit an original photograph illustrating one of the monthly themes in a unique, creative and novel manner.
ii. Entries must be digital files.
iii. All photographic work(s) must be the original work of the Participant and must not contravene the rights of third parties through being completely cleared of any moral or legal rights.
iv. To officially enter, a Participant must register as a member of Safarious,com and “like” the Safarious Facebook page as well as the Sue Flood Photography page on Facebook.
v. The Participant agrees that if they are selected as a Winner within the Competition, Safarious may publicly post the image on the Safarious Facebook page and website, as may the Competition Partners, and that the Participant’s full name and place of residence may be released if they win a Prize. Further, the Participant agrees that should they win the Competition, their name and likeness may be used by Safarious and Competition Partners sponsors for pre-arranged promotional purposes.
vi. The Terms and Conditions of this Competition shall be deemed to have been fully accepted upon the Participants submission of their photographic work(s) as contemplated in these Terms and Conditions.
vii. The Winner(s) of any of the prizes will be announced within fourteen (14) days of the Closing Date by Safarious. When requested, the Winner(s) must supply their personal details including but not limited to full name, postal address, email address and daytime telephone number so eligibility can be checked and so they can be awarded the Prize.
To be eligible, the Participant’s photographic work(s) must be submitted in accordance with the online instructions and meet the following guidelines.
i. the photographic work(s) must be in a standard and generally accepted digital photographic format;
ii. the photographic work(s) must have a file size less than 2 MB but cannot be less than 500 x 500 px;
iv. the photographic work(s) must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights;
v. the photographic work(s) must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
vi. the photographic work(s) must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
viii. the photographic work(s) must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the law;
ix. if the photographic work(s) feature animals or birds, the Participant must state if captive or model animals or birds have been used.
x. if the photographic work(s) feature animals or birds, the Participant must not have used live bait to capture the images
Safarious reserves the right to disqualify any photographic entry that, in its opinion, refers, depicts or in any way reflects negatively upon Safarious, the Competition or any other person or entity, or does not comply with these Terms and Conditions.
Photographic submissions must be suitable for presentation in a public forum, as determined at Safarious’ own discretion.
Participants agree that by entering the competition they are granting Safarious the right to publish the image – free of fee – via its online communications channels, and that if they are selected as a finalist/winner (heats or grand final), they are also giving permission for Safarious to share the picture - again, free of fee - with Competition Partners &/or the media. In each case, the image will be accompanied by a copyright credit for the photographer and the use of any entries or personal information will be restricted to the context of promoting the competition or its results during 2013 and 2014. Prize-winning participants further agree that details from their entry form, including their name, and where the photo was taken, may be shared with the media, members of the Safarious community and Competition Partners. Any further use of submitted images will only happen with the direct consent of the Participant on terms mutually acceptable to all parties.
The Participant cannot submit images that have been awarded in any national or international competition at the time of entry.
The Participant is solely responsible for ensuring that any content that he / she submits does not and will not violate the rights of any third party, and that he / she is liable to verify the rights in respect of any such content. The participant accordingly agrees to indemnify and hold Safarious harmless from and against all claims and expenses arising out of any alleged or actual infringement of any person’s rights.
All Participants shall be responsible for ensuring that their entry and / or acceptance of the Prize(s) do not contravene any local laws or regulations in the country in which they are resident. This Competition or entry shall be void where it is prohibited or restricted by law.
The Participant acknowledges that Safarious is under no obligation to review and or upload any content that the Participant submits. Safarious will not be in any manner responsible for any such content. Safarious will take reasonable steps, but cannot assure any Participant, that harmful, inaccurate, deceptive, offensive, threatening, defamatory, unlawful or otherwise objectionable content will not appear on any website relating to the Competition.
Notwithstanding any other provision in these Terms and Conditions, Safarious has the absolute right to monitor and moderate content that is uploaded to any website and / or social media platform relating to this Competition. In addition, Safarious reserves the right to alter, edit, refuse to post or remove any such content, in whole or in part, for any reason or for no reason, and to disclose such content and the circumstances surrounding their transmission to any third party.
Safarious is entitled in their discretion to reject any entry or Participant for any reason and will be under no obligation to notify Participants that they are rejected.
Entries received after the Closing Date will not be considered. Entries will not be returned.
The Winner(s) must be able to identify him or herself, in a manner determined by Safarious as having been a Participant of the Competition and they will be required to comply with the mandatory validation procedure in order to claim the prize. No entry shall be considered valid until this validation process (as determined by Safarious), has taken place and all entries shall be valid only if the Terms and Conditions have been accepted and the full particulars of the Participant have been provided to Safarious in accordance with these Terms and Conditions and the rules of the Competition.
Image Adjustment Guidelines
1. The image should be a faithful representation of the original scene.
2. Localised adjustments should be used appropriately.
1. Some adjustment or editing is allowed.
The objective is to remain faithful to the original experience, and to never deceive the viewer or misrepresent the reality of nature.
Adjustments that are allowed:
• removal of sensor dust spots
• removal of chromatic aberration
• removing background noise (in moderation)
• colour (in moderation)
• saturation (in moderation)
• contrast work (in moderation)
• shadow and highlights (in moderation)
• sharpening (including selective sharpening) in moderation
• panoramas ie panoramas created from several images that have been taken from the same location and at the same time, and then combined or stitched using digital techniques, and resulting in a wider view than can be achieved with most wide-angle lenses. Multiple exposures are allowed if this is a feature of the camera and the result is one single file. Entrants must state in the caption if their image is a multiple exposure.
2. Adjustments that are NOT allowed
• adding or removing animals, parts of animals, plants, distractions, people etc
• composites and sandwich shots that add elements
The Judging Rules for determining the prize Winner(s) are as follows:
i. The Judging Panel may include, but is not limited to, Safarious Directors and staff, Sue Flood, BBC Wildlife Magazine and Outdoor Photography. The Judging Panel will select between 10 and 30 (ten and thirty) photographs per heat, determined by a combination of the following factors: aesthetic, originality and relevance to theme.
ii. The top photographic work(s) per heat will be displayed on the Safarious website and viewers can vote for their favourite photographic work(s) each heat.
iii. The judges will select one finalist photograph, and two finalists from each heat will be selected according to public vote. Voting will be moderated and is limited to one vote per verified Safarious member. The Judges decision is final.
iv. The three finalists from each month’s heat will go into the Overall Grand Final.
v. Of the 18 images in the Grand Final (3 x 6 heats) – the Judging Panel will then select their top six finalists, and the overall Grand Finalist winner will then be decided by a public vote.
Overall Grand Prize
For clarity this Overall Grand Prize will be inclusive of the following:
• 7 nights for two at The Bushcamp Company’s luxury Mfuwe Lodge and Bushcamps, in the South Luangwa National Park, Zambia ( 3 nights Mfuwe Lodge, 4 nights Bushcamps).
• 4 nights for two at the luxury Zambezi River Lodge, Islands of Siankaba , Victoria Falls.
• 3 nights of wilderness camping for two at Tafika, in the South Luangwa Valley. See www.remoteafrica.com/tafika-camps.
• Photo tuition / trip documentation by the award-winning wildlife photographer Sue Flood. See www.sueflood.com – subject to Sue Flood’s availability.
• Long-haul flights from London to Lusaka return, for two people, courtesy of Steppes Discovery and subject to availability.
• Internal flights for two within Zambia, courtesy of Proflights Zambia.
The winner and his/her guest are responsible for their own travel costs to and from London, or to and from Lusaka, if the winner lives on the African continent or elsewhere inconvenient for a departure from London. The flights cannot be exchanged for other destinations.
The Grand Prize excludes, without limitation, the following: transport to and from the trip commencement and end point, travel insurance, Visas, vaccinations, items of a personal nature, spending money.
There is no cash alternative and the Prize(s) will not be transferable or refundable. None of the Winner(s), or the person accompanying the Overall Grand Prize Winner, may exchange their Prize(s) for cash or any other form of consideration.
The Overall Grand Prize winning holiday can only be taken at times agreed mutually between The Bushcamp Company, Steppes Discovery and if accompanied by Sue Flood, according to her availability - and the booking will be subject to availability.
Travel must be taken from the date of the Overall Grand Prize announcement draw through to 31 December 2014 (and excluding 11th – 24th December inclusive). Once the Overall Grand Prize has been booked the booking dates cannot be amended.
In order to redeem the Winner of the Overall Grand Prize (and the Winner’s chosen guest) must have a valid passport with a minimum of 6 (six) months validity beyond the return date and with at least 2 (two) unstamped pages and a visa (if applicable).
The Winner and the Winner’s guest must comply with both the airline and the accommodation terms and conditions (as applicable).
Monthly Prizes for heat winners
In addition to the Overall Grand Prize, there will be three finalists for each heat - two chosen by the Judging Panel and one chosen by public vote. The two finalists chosen by the Judging Panel will each win
1 x annual subscription to BBC Wildlife Magazine – OR -
1 x annual subscription to Outdoor Photography Magazine
The finalist chosen by the public vote for each heat will win a Safarious tee-shirt.
A draw will also be made for one of the names of the people who voted for the winning public vote shot – and they will win a Safarious cap.
Each of the three monthly winning entries will have their photographic work entries automatically roll over into the final judgment for the Overall Grand Prize. The Judging Panel will select 6 of these images as finalists, and the oublic will then vote for the overall Grand Prize Winner.
The Grand Prize Winner will be the Participant whose photographic work received the most collated votes by members of the public on the Safarious website as at the closing date of 31 January 2014 at 6pm GMT.
The decision of Safarious and the Judging Panel will be final and binding and no correspondence shall be entered into in respect of such a decision.
Prize(s) Regulation and Requirements:
All Prize Winner(s) agree:
i. to assign to Safarious and Competition Partners, absolutely, all of their rights and interests in the material submitted (the “work”), including the copyright and any other intellectual property right;
ii. to warrant that they are the author of the work and the sole owner of all rights, including the copyright, in the work;
iii. to warrant that they have not created any encumbrance (including without limitation, a charge, mortgage, pledge, lien, right of set off) over the work that exists, as of the submission of the work to Safarious;
iv. to warrant that there have been no previous assignments, licences, options or other dealings with the work assigned pursuant to these Terms and Conditions of this Competition that would conflict with any of the rights granted to Safarious in terms of the Terms and Conditions of this Competition and the Winner(s) agrees not to assign, license, grant options over or deal in any other way with any of these rights in a way that would conflict with the rights granted by the Winner(s) to Safarious in accordance with these Terms and Conditions;
v. to warrant that the Participant is not aware of any actual, suspected or threatened claim in relation to the work, including any claim that the work infringes any intellectual property rights;
vi. to unconditionally indemnify to the full extent permitted by law Safarious (and/or shareholders of the companies, any of their subsidiaries and/or any affiliated companies) and also The Bushcamp Company (and/or shareholders of the companies, any of their subsidiaries and/or any affiliated companies”) against all losses, liabilities and expenses (including legal expenses, on a full indemnity basis, and damages or other compensation paid by Safarious or The Bushcamp Company on the advice of its legal advisers to compromise or settle any claim or proceeding) that neither Safarious or The Bushcamp Company may suffer directly or indirectly because:
• any of the Winner(s) and / or Participant’s representations or warranties are incorrect in any respect;
• the Winner(s) and / or Participant’s breaches any of its obligations arising from the Terms and Conditions of the Competition;
• any of the Winner(s) and / or Participant’s obligations arising from the Terms and Conditions of the Competition are wholly or partly illegal, unlawful, void, voidable or unenforceable; or
• of any claim by another person that relies on any fact, which, if substantiated, would constitute a circumstance, contemplated in this paragraph of these Terms and Conditions.
The Winner(s) of each of the Monthly heats and of the Overall Grand Prize will be notified within 14 (fourteen) days of the Closing Dates of each competition. The Winner(s) shall, within ten (10) days of having been notified of winning, accept the Prize(s), either orally or in writing failing which such Winner(s) will be deemed to have waived their right to the Prize(s) and shall automatically forfeit the Prize(s). Safarious reserves the right to offer the Prize(s) to a new duly selected Winner(s), or to re-offer the Prize(s) in any future Safarious competition, at its discretion. In such an event, the Judging Panel will then select a new Winner(s) in such manner as they deem fit.
Safarious shall not be liable for any costs incurred by the Winner(s) in claiming the Prize(s).
All risks and ownership of the Prize(s) shall pass to the Winner(s) on transfer / delivery thereof and hence all of the obligations held by Safaious concerning the promotion as well as in regard to the Prize(s) shall terminate on the later of the date of 31 January 2014, or the conclusion of the Overall Grand Prize Winner’s booked holiday being taken.
This Competition is conducted by Safarious.
No purchase is necessary to enter.
1. All Participants entering the Competition agree to be bound by the Terms and Conditions of this Competition, as outlined herein,
2. All Participants confirm that they have reviewed and agree to follow the rules.
3. Safarious reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions or to cancel, alter or amend the competition or the prize at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, or if circumstances arise outside of its control.
4. No employee or director of Safarious business partner of an employee or director, or a family member of an employee or a director, may enter this Competition, and should a person do so, such person will be automatically disqualified from the Competition.
5. Notwithstanding anything said in these Terms and Conditions Safarious and their directors, members, partners, employees, agents, consultants, suppliers, contractors and sponsors assume no liability whatsoever for any direct or indirect loss or damage arising from a Participant’s participation in the Competition or for any loss or damage, howsoever arising.
6. Each Participant and eventual Winner(s) agrees to have their full name, location / residence and image or likeness, as well as the material submitted (including the photographic entry work), published in print and / or on the internet for pre-arranged promotional purposes such as, but not exclusive of advertising / promoting Safarious or the Competition.
7. A Participant can enter as many different photographic works for each category. Entries on behalf of another person will also not be accepted and joint submissions are not allowed.
8. No responsibility is taken for entries that are lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete or cannot be delivered for any technical or other reason. Entries received after the Monthly Closing Dates will not be considered. Entries cannot be returned.
9. Safarious will not be liable for any failure to comply with its obligations caused by circumstances out of its control, such as weather, fire, flood, strike action, hurricane, industrial dispute, war, hostilities, political unrest, riots, civil commotion, inevitable accidents, acts of God or circumstances amounting to Force Majeure. Safarious reserves the right to amend these Terms and Conditions or to cancel, alter or amend the Competition or the Prize(s) at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, or if circumstances arise outside of its control.
10. Safarious will take whatever reasonable steps necessary to guarantee the integrity of the Competition. However, Safarious will not, in any way, be responsible, or be liable, for any acts or omissions by its employees, associates, business partners or agents in the running of the Competition or the awarding of the prizes, which may inconvenience or prejudice Participants. Safarious shall also not be responsible for any errors or disruptions affecting participation and/or prize redemption process of this Competition. Any promotional activity or press release the prize Winner(s) make in relation to the Competition must be pre-approved by Safarious in writing.
11. The duration of the Competition promotion may be extended or curtailed at the discretion of Safarious and Safarious reserve the right to cancel, suspend or terminate this promotion, without notice at any time and no liability shall lie against Safarious, in favour of any participant or third party arising from such cancellation, suspension or termination.